Etnia Merquen Premium Chilean Smoked Red Hot Crushed Chili Pepper
- Merquen or Merken derives from Chile. It is a ground mixture of dried and smoked aji cacho de cabra (goat's horn red pepper), cumin, roasted coriander seeds, and salt. It is very similar to traditional crushed red dried pepper flakes, cayenne, aleppo pepper, but with a nice spicy and smokey flavor.
- This smoked paprika -like blend adds a warm depth, intense smoky flavor, and a fragrant aroma to everything from soups and dips to meat, poultry seasoning, seafood, vegetables. Add this new flavor to your spice rack, jerk seasoning, your spices and seasonings set, in your favorite spice shaker, or as a bbq rub.
- Merquen is a native spice of the Mapuche Tribe. Etnia produces their merquen using traditional methods. The pepper is dried naturally under the sun then smoked over a wood fire. The pepper is then ground up into a flake and additional ingredients are included.
- Etnia uses Fair Trade concepts. The merquen is purchased only from the tribes directly to help support their tribe and traditional way of living. By working closly with the tribe, they continue producing merquen using the traditional methods.
- The heat you get from crushed red pepper comes from the capsaicin it contains. Capsaicin may also act as an appetite suppressant to help with weight loss.
Release Date: 22-11-2013
Details: Merquen (also spelled merken), a traditional spice of the indigenous Mapuche people of Chile.The spice is a ground mixture of dried and smoked aji cacho de cabra (goat's horn red pepper), cumin, coriander seeds, and salt. Merquen is fast becoming embraced by many national and international chefs for use in new and exciting cuisines. Merquen has been highlighted in Fine Cooking, Men's Health, and The L.A. This paprika-like blend adds a warm depth, intense smoky flavor, and a fragrant aroma to everything from soups and dips to meat, poultry, seafood and vegetables.
Package Dimensions: 6.2 x 5.0 x 4.3 inches